Volunteering with Citizens for Conservation
Volunteers represent a cross-section of the residents in the northwestern suburbs of Chicago. Volunteers need not be CFC members. The majority of our volunteers are involved outdoors in our restoration workdays (described at the bottom of the page), but we also have a number of other needs. Here's a quick list of our activities which depend on volunteers:
- Restoration - meet on workdays, no experience necessary (just proper work clothing for the working outdoors)
- Education - adult programs and children's classes
- Special Events - we're always in need of people to help out during special events
- Newsletters - writing, photography
- Fundraising - grants, community appeals
- Office - filing, scanning photos, databases
- Monitoring - bluebirds, frogs, butterflies, water quality, etc.
If you have experience or interest in any of these areas, please do not hesitate to email CFC or call the office at 847-382-7283 (SAVE).
Restoration Workday Schedule
Spring: Thursdays and Saturdays, 9-11 a.m. Native plant rescues, legume seed sowing, plug planting.
Summer: Thursdays and Saturdays, 9-11 a.m. Non-native plant removal (commonly called weeding), cutting, digging or pulling non-native plants from Barrington area nature preserves.
Fall: Thursdays and Saturdays, 9-11 a.m.; Sundays, 3:30-5 p.m. Seed collecting: a fun and easy activity for all generations.
Winter: Thursdays and Saturdays, 9-11 a.m. Clearing and removing large invasive plants.
Experienced and new volunteers are always welcome. Meet for workdays at Citizens for Conservation's office. The CFC headquarters is located at 459 W. Highway 22 in Lake Barrington. Look for the white farmhouse with a silo across from Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital. Bring work gloves and dress for the weather. CFC will provide the tools and refreshments. For more information, call CFC at 847-382-SAVE (7283).