During spring and fall migration, and early nesting season, CFC and Audubon Great Lakes co-sponsor bird walks in local forest preserves and natural areas, including CFC sites. Our spring 2018 walks are listed below and are also displayed on the CFC calendar.
Between bird walks, you can brush up on your bird knowledge and identification skills by visiting Wendy Paulson's series on 365 Barrington, called Birds of Barrington.
Barrington Area Spring Bird Walks & Hikes
Get to know nearby nature with Barrington area naturalist Wendy Paulson. Walks are free and open to the public though spaces are limited and RSVPs are required. Waterproof boots are strongly recommended for these hikes. Don’t forget your binoculars!
Before you head out, please check the Citizens for Conservation home page calendar for any last minute changes or cancellations.
- April 13, 8:00 a.m. — Cuba Marsh (Park in parking lot off east side of Lake Zurich Rd just south of EJ&E RR tracks. Lake Zurich Road runs between Rte. 14 and Cuba Road)
- May 2, 7:30 a.m. — Crabtree Nature Center (3 Stover Road off of Palatine Road)
- May 15, 7:30 a.m. – Deer Grove East (entrance on north side of Dundee Road, west of Hicks Road, east of Smith Street. Go to farthest parking area) with optional extension to Younghusband Prairie (entrance on north side of Dundee Road, east of Prairie Middle School)
- May 16, 3:30 p.m. — Baker’s Lake for students and adults (parking lot on Highland Ave. south of Hillside Ave)
- May 18, 7:30 a.m. — Beverly Lake* (parking lot on north side of Higgins Rd/Rt. 72, east of Rt. 25, west of Beverly Road)
- May 21, 7:30 a.m. — Crabtree Nature Center (3 Stover Road off of Palatine Road)
- May 29, 7:00 a.m. — Headwaters* (parking lot on Wichman Rd. off north side of Rt. 72; ½ mile west of Rt. 59)
- June 6, 7:00 a.m. — Galloping Hill* (meet at Penny Road Pond parking lot, less than a mile west of Old Sutton/Penny Rd intersection)
- June 17, 5:00 p.m. — Galloping Hill* (as above)
*indicates a more strenuous hike
Please RSVP to: Daniel Wear (312) 453-0230, Extension 2010 or [email protected] and let us know how best to contact you should that be necessary.